As both a fundraiser and annual celebration, the University Alumni Awards honors distinguished alumni while raising critical funds for student scholarships. This year’s celebration, honoring seven UMass Lowell alumni, will be held Thursday, April 18, from 5:30–7:30 p.m. at the UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center, 50 Warren St., Lowell.
“The University Alumni Awards are presented to alumni who have provided outstanding service to the University, their profession and the community,” says Edward Chiu, vice chancellor for the Office of University Advancement. “The University takes pride in honoring their accomplishments.”
Since 1998, UMass Lowell has recognized more than 100 alumni and friends for their noteworthy contributions to science, the arts, engineering, business, healthcare, the University and the greater community.
“The success of our alumni is a testament to the education that UMass Lowell provides. The University Alumni Awards ceremony is an opportunity to recognize the lifelong impact UMass Lowell makes on the thousands who have graduated from the University and its predecessor institutions,” says Heather Makrez ’06, ’08, director of Alumni Relations, and a fellow alumna.
Each year, the University honors a prominent alumna/alumnus in each school or college, along with one recent graduate.
Awardees for 2013 include:
- Bruce Arakelian ’82, Nurse Anesthetist, Carolinas Medical Center, School of Health & Environment.
- Jeffrey Cosiol ’67, Principal Project Director, Kling Stubbins (retired), Francis College of Engineering.
- Mark Forziati ’78, Senior Vice President and Partner, Tudor Investments (retired), Manning School of Business.
- George Membrino ’52, Owner and Founder, GEM Consulting, College of Fine Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences.
- Kimberly Sawyer ’89, Deputy Laboratories Director and Executive Vice President, Mission Support, Sandia National Laboratories, College of Sciences.
- George Tsapatsaris ’77, Superintendent, Lowell Public Schools (retired), Graduate School of Education.
- Danielle (Bergeron) McFadden ’07, President and CEO, Greater Lowell Chamber of Commerce, Recent Alumna Award.
Those who would like to attend should RSVP by Tuesday, April 11 online
, or by contacting the Office of Alumni Relations, 978-934-3140.
More information on the event